Monday, October 5, 2009

NEWS - Southern Management Corporation Donates Space for MWHC

The ground floor space in the former Baltimore Gas & Electric Building, has been generously donated by David Hillman, CEO of the Southern Management Corporation to the Maryland Women's Heritage Center's.

Our temporary home will be located at 39 West Lexington Street and is scheduled to open in early Fall 2009.

We are extraordinarily grateful to Mr. Hillman and look forward to recognizing him publicly at an appropriate occasion in the near future. To continue this incredible momentum, we need your support and active participation. Join us in making a tax-deductible donation to the Center, perhaps in honor of a Maryland woman or girl who is or has been important in your life.

Because the Center is a 501(3)(c) nonprofit organization, all gifts are fully tax-deductible. In addition, we need volunteers to help will all of our endeavors. If you are interested in giving your time, talents or resources, e-mail Jill Moss Greenberg.

ACTION - Sign the Environment Pledge

We honor women taking the lead to save our planet. The National Women’s History Project (NWHP) and the Maryland Women’s Heritage Center are honoring Maryland women who have taken the lead in the environmental or “green” movement. Click here for more information about Maryland women who are taking the lead to save our planet. Sign this Environment Pledge developed by the Maryland Women’s Heritage Center.

FACT - Henrietta Szold Founded Russian Night School in Baltimore

Henrietta Szold is known as the pioneering Zionist who founded the Russian Night School in Baltimore to teach Eastern European immigrants (the first adult education program), as well as Hadassah, the women’s Zionist organization.

FACT - Elizabeth Murphy Moss Vice President of The Afro

Started in 1892 by Martha Murphy and her husband in 1922, The Afro was the nation’s largest black-owned newspaper. Elizabeth Murphy Moss and her family ran the newspaper with her serving as vice-president and treasurer for the newspaper chain.

EVENT - Stand Up and Speak Out! Leadership Course

Friday, October 23 – Sunday, October 25, 2009
Sheraton Rockville Hotel, 920 King Farm Boulevard, Rockville
Cost is $165 for Business and Professional Women members, $190 for non-members
The Business and Professional Women (BPW) hosts a regional leadership training program led by Nancy Jackson, past national president of BPW, and Nancy Werner, past state president of BPW. To register, or for more information, contact Alicia Newman, BPW Program Chair, at 410-451-5162 or e-mail Registration deadline is October 9.

EVENT - 2009 Susan G Komen Race for the Cure

Sunday, October 18, 2009
Hunt Valley, MD
The largest footrace in the State of Maryland, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure helps to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and emerging science to find cures. Of the money raised at the Race for the Cure each year, up to 75% stays in Maryland to fund local programs for women and families. The remaining 25% supports national research to find cures for breast cancer. For more information and to get involved, visit

FACT - Mary Katherine Goddard Publisher of Truth

Mary Katherine Goddard was a pioneer among women in Baltimore town in the era of the American Revolution. She was a newspaper editor determined to publish the truth as well as a fighter for the right of women to pursue a career. She published the first signed copy of the Declaration of Independence.